Today’s blog will explore the requirements to apply for a UK Expansion Worker visa. In addition to discovering who is qualified for the UK Expansion Worker visa, you will also learn how much the visa costs, how long it takes to apply for it, and how long you can stay in the UK—in the event your application is successful. Read on for basic info, FAQs and more!
UK Expansion Worker Visa (Global Business Mobility) Basic Info
The UK Expansion Worker visa is a type of Global Business Mobility visa, which provides foreigners the opportunity to relocate to England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, or Wales (the UK) for the purpose of establishing a UK arm of a foreign company, which has yet to commence operations. Find some basic info about the visa below:
- How much the visa costs: What you pay for your visa depends on a number of factors. The total price typically reflects several individual costs, including the basic processing fee (£259) and the healthcare surcharge (£624. Most applicants must also show evidence of possessing a minimum account balance of £1,270.
- How long you can stay in the UK on one: Most workers are able to remain in the country for one year on an Expansion Worker Visa; some can stay up to two.
- How long it takes to receive one: Most applicants receive a decision on their application in either three or eight weeks, depending on whether they are outside the country or in Britain when they apply, respectively. For expediated processing times, please contact us.
UK Expansion Worker Visa Requirements
- In order to apply for a UK Expansion Worker visa, you must meet the UK Expansion Worker Visa requirements. The UK Expansion Worker Visa is eligible for those who are coming to the UK in order to:
- Take a position which is defined as an “eligible occupation”.
- Receive a salary which meets the base compensation requirements.
- Obtain via your company/manager a legitimate sponsorship certificate prior to coming to the UK.
- Be employed by the company/boss that you were previously been employed by when you worked abroad.
- Finally, only certain employment categories are considered “eligible” for the Expansion Worker Visa. To find out whether the type of employment you are pursuing a visa for is eligible, you will need to acquire an occupation code, which is then crossed referenced with the official list of eligible occupations.
- The UK Expansion Worker Visa is eligible for those who meet the basic compensation requirement. Therefore, a foreigner who is qualified for the UK Expansion Worker visa is someone whose yearly compensation is £42,400 (minimum).
- Please note that if the average salary for your position is greater than £42,400, your compensation must be adjusted to reflect that amount, in order for you to remain eligible for the visa.
Duration of employment requirement
- In addition to the above basic requirements to apply for the UK Expansion Worker Visa, applicants must also meet what is called the duration of employment requirement, which refers to the minimum amount of time you must have been employed by your foreign boss/company (to qualify for the visa)
- The minimum period of employment required to apply for a UK Expansion Worker visa is one year. Applicants who were not employed for a minimum of one year are ineligible for the visa. Exceptions to this rule include Japanese citizens employed by Japanese businesses which relocate to Britain, as well as foreigners of any nationality who are taking a job in which they will receive a salary greater than £73,900.
UK Expansion Worker Visa (Global Business Mobility) FAQs
- Is it possible to extend an Expansion Worker visa?
- Yes. Expansion Worker visas are eligible for extensions, provided that the applicant continues to meet the visa’s original eligibility requirements.
- Is it possible to switch to an Expansion Worker visa?
- Yes. Depending on what type of UK visa you are on, it is possible to apply to switch to the Expansion Worker, provided that you apply from within the country (assuming that you are there lawfully).
- Is it possible to change employers on a UK Expansion Worker visa?
- It is not possible to change employers on a UK Expansion Worker visa. While applicants can update a visa to reflect a new job (you must do this if your new job no longer shares your previous occupation code) you will need to be employed by the same person/entity in order to maintain your eligibility for the UK Expansion Worker visa.
- Is it possible to go from a UK Expansion Worker visa to settlement in the UK?
- Going from the UK Expansion Worker Visa to settlement (of a permanent nature in the UK) is difficult, as visa holders are generally prohibited from spending more than five consecutive years in the country.
- If you would like more information about permanent settlement in the UK, please contact us.